Planning is responsible for administration of the Zoning and Division of Land Rules and Regulations. We answer Zoning district and land use questions, and questions regarding division of any land in the County. Planning is also responsible for permitting under the Sheridan County Land Use Regulations including Rezoning, Quarry, Variance, Conditional Use permits, Subdivision permits and exemptions, and Mobile Home Park Licenses. We work with the Sheridan County Planning and Zoning Commission on permit requests at monthly meetings. Also, we provide the public copies of recorded plats and surveys and make copies of such documents.
Responsibilities And Functions
Operating under the authority and direction of the Public Works Department, the principle functions of the Planning Office include:
- Preparation and maintenance of a countywide Comprehensive Plan
- Conceptualization and implementation of special projects for the Public Works Department
- Providing staff support for the Planning and Zoning Commission
- Administration of the Zoning Resolution
- Administration of the Rules and Regulations Governing the Division of Land
- Maintaining thorough documentation of planning proceedings
- Providing enforcement services to carry out county responsibilities
- Researching and providing recommendations regarding county growth/development
- To engage the public in all aspects of the planning process.
- To present a range of alternative considerations, and well reasoned recommendations to decision makers when addressing the county’s future.
- To seek incentive-based solutions in preference to new regulation.
- To assist the public in conceptualization and formulation of development proposals.
- To provide accurate and informative reviews of development proposals.
- To consider the “big picture”, while remaining sensitive to needs of the individual.
- To prepare specific courses of action resulting in implementation of duly adopted goals and policies of the county.
- To be a team player along with other county departments and elected officials.
- To work cooperatively with all units of local, state and federal government.
- To seek first, voluntary compliance with county land-use resolutions.
Feel free to contact us for information, questions and/or input regarding office activities, development proposals or meetings.
Sheridan Joint Planning Area
Proposed Land Use Plan – 2017
Land Use Plan – 2009