Sheridan County Public Works Department

Rod Liesinger, P.E., Director
224 S. Main St. Suite 428
Sheridan, WY 82801
(307) 674-2920
(307) 674-2927 (fax)
Office hours: M-F 8am-5pm

News and Information:

 Dust Suppressant Application Project

The Sheridan County Road & Bridge Department is scheduled to apply dust suppressant on County Roads starting the week of April 21.  They will be working from approximately 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. each day.  Please keep in mind this schedule is subject to change depending on the weather.  We will provide updates to our schedule on a weekly basis.  The roads scheduled for the week of April 28th through May 1st include:

Wild Horse Rd. (CR 38), Echeta Rd. (CR 293), Upper Powder River Rd. (CR 273), Lower Powder River Rd. (CR 269), Thompson Creek Rd. (CR 219), Coal Creek Rd. (CR195), Box Elder Rd. (CR 171), Murphy Gulch Rd. (CR 147), Upper Prairie Dog Rd. (CR 127), Meade Creek Rd. (CR 131), and Bird Farm Rd. (CR28).

Please use caution when driving on these roads and use alternate routes if possible as there may be delay during the application process.  If unable to find an alternate route, it is advised that you wash your car as soon as possible afterward.  Thank you for your patience as we complete our 2014 Dust Suppressant project.

If you have questions, please don't hesitate to contact e
ither Public Works Director Rod Liesinger or Road & Bridge Program Manager Pete Husman at the Public Works Office at 674-2920.  

Sand bags available
The Sheridan County Public Works Department would like to advise that we have sand bags and sand available at the Road & Bridge shop at 48 Short Rd.  Residents can come to the shop and fill bags as they need, Monday through Thursday, 6:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.  Stop into the Road & Bridge shop and check in with Connie Bennick.  She also can be reached at 674-2930. 
If sand bags are needed outside of this time frame, contact the
Sheridan County Public Works Office at 674-2920.
If you have questions contact Rod Liesinger, Sheridan County Public Works Director at 674-2920.

Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM)
The new Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRM) took effect January 16, 2014.  The maps are available for viewing in the Public Works Office on the 4th floor of the courthouse, or you can view them online at FEMA.

Permit Reminder
As a reminder from the Sheridan County Public Works Department, permits as listed may be required for the following activities in Sheridan County:

Building Permit & Zoning Permit: Construction of any new building, or addition to, or change of use of existing building.
Driveway Permit: Change or construction of any driveway accessing a County Road.
Septic Permit: Construction of a new or replacement septic system, including a partial replacement.
Flood Plain Program Development Permit: Any activity within the County designated flood plain areas.

All permits issued by Sheridan county are subject to a fee per the Sheridan County Land Use Fee Schedule. Permits issued after the activity has commenced will be subject to an additional inspection fee.
If you are unsure if a permit is required, please contact the Public Works Department at 674-2920, or stop by the County Courthouse at 224 S. Main St., 4th Floor.

Public Works consists of Building permitting & inspection, Engineering, Planning, Code Enforcement, SAWS water system and Road & Bridge Department.

We are responsible for enforcing and updating building codes. We issue County building permits and provide letters of occupancy. We permit septic systems, answer Flood Plain questions pertaining to properties located in the unincorporated area of the County and issue Flood Plain permits for such properties.

County Engineering
Engineering is responsible for planning & designing of road improvement projects, which includes construction , grading, surfacing, culvert placement & replacement, bridges and other projects and preparing contract documents. Engineering assists Road and Bridge and other County departments with engineering issues. Also, we review all development plans and reports. In additions, Engineering oversees the construction of bridge and culverts, gravel surfacing, asphalt and concrete paving, road grading & chloride applications. We are also responsible for maintaining/updating GIS information, assigning addresses, preparing GIS maps and maintaining the database for the Public Works Department. We maintain the Public Works website pages. We issue driveway permits for access to County Roads. Also Engineering issues utility licensing agreements for both private and public entities that wish to construct their facilities in the County Road right-of-way.

County Planning
Planning is responsible for administration of the Zoning and Division of Land Rules and Regulations. We answer Zoning district and land use questions, and questions regarding division of any land in the County. We facilitate the creation of and update long-range plans for Sheridan County to include a Comprehensive Plan. Elements of the Comprehensive Plan include Land Use, Transportation, County Utilities, Sensitive Areas, Natural & Man made Hazards, and Open Space. Planning is also responsible for permitting under the Sheridan County Land Use Regulations including Rezoning, Quarry, Variance, Conditional Use permits, Subdivision permits and exemptions, and Mobile Home Park Licenses. We work with the Sheridan County Planning and Zoning Commission on permit requests at monthly meetings. Also, we provide the public copies of recorded plats and surveys and make copies of such documents.

SAWSJPB (Sheridan Area Water Supply Joint Powers Board)
SAWSJPB is the rural water system surrounding the City of Sheridan. In the Public Works office, we take applications to connect to the water system, prepare water service agreements with developers, and administer board business such as monthly meetings, budge and finances, and contracts with consultants and contractors. We maintain records, do future planning, and coordinate with the City of Sheridan for billing and maintenance of the water system.

Code Enforcement Officers
The County Code Enforcement Officers are responsible for ensuring private property and construction and development projects conform to zoning regulations and review conditions of approval, and issue zoning permits. We are also responsible for inspections, investigations, and resolution of zoning enforcement issues.

Road and Bridge
Road & Bridge is responsible for road maintenance, minor bridge repair snow removal, and culvert installation. In addition, we oversee the maintenance and repair of county vehicles; direct the operation of a variety of heavy, medium, and light equipment, including road graders, front end loaders, backhoes, bulldozers, and trucks. Road & Bridge also maintains road signs, including county road name signs.

updated 4/23/14

designed by: Wyolution