LOCATION & ACCESS INFO – SANDBAG SELF-FILL SITES:
Seasonally available at:
- The City of Sheridan Service Center at 1148 Kroe Lane Phone: 307-674-4112 (Hours are 7:30 AM to 4 PM, Mon through Fri)
- Fire Hall, Story
- Fire Hall, Big Horn
- County shop (south of Girl’s School) Monday – Thursday, gate closes at 4:30 PM; closed Friday – Sunday.
- County fairgrounds-west side near fence line; unfilled bags available during business hours.
- Behind the Ranchester Town Hall
- Dayton Town Shop
- If bag/sand supply starts to run low, please contact the Emergency Management Office (307-752-2174); do not wait until everything is gone to call. Lead time is needed to replenish sandbags and sand.
- Have at least 1 person with you to help fill
- Plan on using your own gear, bring a shovel; irrigation (chisel point) shovel works best for filling sandbags
- Avoid injury – lift with your legs, not your back
- Wear gloves; avoid contact with eyes and mouth. Sandbags are treated to resist deterioration.
“Heads-up” – things to remain aware of:
- Fill more than one-half but less than two-thirds full
- DO NOT overfill sand bags
- If bags are over-filled the risk of splitting increases
- Bags have been exposed to the elements and some may be prone to splitting
- If bags are not over-filled (2/3rds or more) you should be ok, but watch for fabric failure and double bag as needed
- The county and city cannot fill sandbags, or retrieve them afterwards. Residents are responsible for properly disposing of sandbags after they are no longer needed