Frank Morrow, pioneer resident of Wyoming and one-time sheriff of Sheridan, died Wednesday, February 25, at Grand Coulee, Wash., where he had been making his home with his son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Francis Morrow. Morrow, who would have been eighty years old on March 20, died following a stroke of paralysis.
An exceptionally colorful and adventurous life had been led by Mr. Morrow, who was born on March 20, 1862, near Oil City, Pa. He worked near Oil City until 1893, when he went to Kansas. Later, he joined his family in Omaha, Neb., and in May, 1885, the party came overland by covered wagon to Sheridan. Morrow was one of the outstanding figures in the early history of Sheridan, serving as deputy sheriff under Dennis Wiley, and later, in 1894, was elected sheriff himself, serving until 1896, where he was re-elected for another two-year term. During his terms as sheriff, Morrow was known as one of the most successful old-time “peace officers,” and had many experiences with stage and train robbers and cattle rustlers.
In partnership with Frank Eldred, he started a harness and saddle shop business in 1898. The site of the shop was located about where the Sportsman’s building on Main street now stands. In 1911, this business was sold to Otto Ernst, and four years later, after his marriage to Miss Nora Anderson in the Inyan Cara country near Sundance, he left Sheridan for the next few years and made his home briefly in Mexico, California and Canada. Never content to let the “grass grow under his feet” Morrow went from Canada to Alaska, and from Alaska to Washington where he made his home until the time of his death.
Survivors include his son and daughter-in-law, Mr. and Mrs. Francis Morrow and two grandchildren of Grand Coulee, Wash.; one sister, Mrs. T. A. Morris of Selah, Wash.; and five brothers, John L. of Bridgeport, Wash., and Robert Alfred, G. Custer, and Sam M. Morrow, all of whom live near Sheridan.