The Board of County Commissioner’s is now accepting applications for the renewed Sheridan County Historic Preservation Commission. Interested individuals may apply for 1 of 7 open positions by completing an application and submitting it with a cover letter no later than May 10th, 2019 at 5:00 pm. Applications and letters can be emailed to the County Commission or mailed to Board of County Commissioners, 224 S Main St., Suite B1, Sheridan, WY 82801.
Requirements: Each of the seven (7) members will demonstrate interest, knowledge or experience in historic preservation. At least two (2) of the members will be professionals in historic preservation or related fields.
Essential Functions and responsibilities of the position:
- Carry out the following responsibilities in cooperation with the State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO), Wyoming Department of State Parks & Cultural Resources:
- Enforce the Sheridan County historic preservation resolution for the designating and protection of local historic properties;
- Maintain a system for the survey and inventory of local historic properties that is coordinated with the statewide comprehensive planning process, with technical assistance provided by the SHPO;
- Ensure, to the maximum extent possible, public participation in the local historic preservation program;
- Review and comment upon nominations to the National Register of Historic Places for properties within Sheridan County, and within 60 days of receiving the nomination submit the SCHPC’s report and recommendation to the SHPO as to whether the nominated properties meet the criteria of the National Register;
- Submit an annual report to SHPO of the SCHPC’s activities by August 1 each year;
- Assist SHPO, if necessary, to verify the names and addresses of property owners within “Local Historic Districts” being nominated to the National Register, and assist with the arrangements for local public information meetings at mutually agreeable times and locations when such districts are nominated;
Please call Kenny at 307-675-2912 or email humanresources with any questions.