WHEREAS, it is this body’s firm belief that discrimination in housing, employment and public accommodation not only threatens the rights and privileges of the citizens of Sheridan County but also menaces the institutions and foundations of a free and democratic society; and,
WHEREAS, this body desires to give effect to the guarantees of equal rights contained in the Constitution and laws of this State of the United States and to encourage and bring about mutual self-respect and understanding among all citizens and groups within Sheridan County; and,
WHEREAS, under the Federal Fair Housing Law, it is illegal to deny housing to any persons because of race, color, religion, sex, or national origin; and,
THEREFORE, be it resolved that the County of Sheridan, Wyoming makes a firm commitment to eliminate prejudice, intolerance, disorder, and discrimination in housing based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
THEREFORE, be it also resolved that the County will adhere to the following procedures to accomplish the purpose of the aforementioned resolution:
- All and any discrimination complaints will be in writing, signed and addressed to the Office of Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity, Department of Housing and Urban Development, 1405 Curtis Street, Executive Towers, Denver, CO 80202.
- The Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity Logo will be displayed in the County Courthouse.
- The County will:
- assist and promote community efforts and responsible local fair housing groups to enact fair housing laws or to promote fair housing within the community;
- encourage local fair housing advocates in developing educational programs to provide fair housing information to the community;
- instruct all department heads regarding the goals and objectives of the Fair Housing Law;
- publish a copy of the adopted Fair Housing Resolution in the local newspaper.
RESOLVED this 16th day of July 2019